Saturday, December 29, 2012

The deaf will hear...

Onen John on the right

There are people in Pajok, South Sudan who are deaf and as a result cannot speak. They are trapped inside their bodies unable to communicate beyond simple hand motions. It is a lonely life. They are very excited at the opportunity to "talk" with someone no matter how limited it is. Therese from Kitgum, Uganda made a picture phonics book to teach the children how to read their native language Acholi. I made my own copy to use to teach our children how to read Acholi. But I realized it could also be used to teach those who are deaf to communicate more effectively by learning how to read!

I met Onen John last year and again saw him this year. I also met  Bilili Sam this year. Both are deaf and cannot speak. There are others in Pajok.

As I was sitting with some of the children and Onen John and teaching through the phonics book, it struck me that I could use this to teach Onen. He can write his name with a stick on the ground so he knows letters...at least some.

When I began showing the pictures to Onen and then pointing to the letters and then drawing then out on the ground, he began to understand that I was teaching him the words for each picture! He got very excited...and very thoughtful as he looked at each word very carefully.

The deaf can hear as they learn to read! They can begin to communicate!



Please pray for the deaf in Pajok...

No comments:

Post a Comment